Monday, July 22, 2013

Camping and Losing Weight

The camping trip went great but, wow, what a lot of work goes into loading, unloading, then loading and unloading again.  Still, to see the smiles on the kids' faces is all worth it. 

We rented a shelter which is just a concrete floor with walls and screen and electricity with a water faucet outside but this shelter was special: it had AC! Our friends rented the other shelter with AC and we had a great time.

Dash, my car, was loaded down with all the bags, food, a mini fridge, two canoes and 4 bikes. I don't think we could have fit another thing in to that car!

After arriving, we had to make a trip to Wal Mart to get some food and a couple of things I forgot to pack. Yeah, this was in the parking lot. 
 Then it was time to relax. What a great view we had from our little cabin.
 Charlie and I went for an evening paddle on the calm water of Lake Raven at Huntsville State Park.
 Chuck had to solo a tandem canoe but he managed.
Charlie and I made it back to a cove and an alligator splashed and went right by the canoe. It was so close we could see it! Talk about an adrenaline rush. Then there were splashes as large fish zoomed past us. I even touched something alive with my paddle. I'll admit I was a little spooked at that point.

On the way back we did get to paddle past a roosting area for great white egrets. That was really cool!

 Got back to shore and relaxed a little but we couldn't resist going back on the water one more time to see the beautiful sunset.
 It just kept getting better and better. Wow! So beautiful. Wish you could have been there.
 The days were spent relaxing...
 The kids played together, went swimming, hiked, rode bikes, paddled. It was a nice break from the daily grind of reality.
 We had a few thunderstorms here and there but nothing bad. In the evenings I liked sitting by the lake and feeling the breeze. One evening we even got a visitor. A great blue heron.
 One night we even went for a night paddle and it was so pretty with the reflection of the moon on the water.

Saturday night we had some friends come up for dinner and that was a lot of fun!
All in all, a great time.

Even though I wouldn't say I ate great, I didn't eat a lot. And somehow I managed to lose 1 pound while on the trip. Maybe it was the paddling. Surely it wasn't just sitting in a chair.

So it's Monday and back to reality. There's laundry to be done. I still need to lose 5.2 pounds in 19 days for my DietBet. I suuuuure hope I can do it! Going to do my best. :)

Hope you had a relaxing weekend too.

7 comments:

  1. The pictures are absolutely beautiful! My first WI was dismal too, but I put in the work - only lost .6, so I have to lose 6.1 in the next 20 days - I still think I can do it - I might give up my weekend wine until the end of the Dietbet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have 12.9 lbs to lose in 19 days.

    Great photos, the time in the water sounds like an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love camping. Your trip looks fantastic, love the photos! Have a great day Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sunset pictures! I used to love camping when I was a kid... Lately, though, I don't seem willing to put up with the lack of air conditioning.

    Get on the diet bet! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss your posts and hope you are doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. miss your blog post -hope all is okay

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)